Writing a birthday card may seem like a simple task that you should do on autopilot. In reality, it isn’t as simple as it may seem. How do you express all your emotions in a few, well-crafted sentences? Worse still, what do you write in your boss’ or colleague’s birthday card?
If you’re in need of a quick birthday message, you’re in luck. Here’s a list that you can refer to whenever you have birthday card-related writer’s block!
Short Birthday messages
If you have no idea what to write, opt for something simple that still shows that you care about whoever’s going to receive the card.
- Happy Birthday to one of my favourite people!
- Another year older, another year better and wiser!
- Wishing you another year filled with peace, love and joy.
- No one deserves to be celebrated more than you!
- Wishing you the best birthday ever!
Funny Birthday Messages
A little humour doesn’t hurt! Turn a birthday frown upside down by adding one of the following messages to your friend’s birthday card.
- Age is just a number…just choose your own!
- Another year older, but certainly not wiser. Happy Birthday!
- Happy Birthday! Feeling old yet?
- You’re like fine wine…you look better with each passing year.
- Is this the year that you start “acting your age?” 😉
Professional Birthday Messages
Writing a message in your boss’ or colleague’s birthday card is challenging. Here are a couple of ideas to get you started.
- Wishing you a relaxing birthday and a productive year ahead!
- Glad that we’re working together. Wishing you a great day!
- Thankful to be working with someone as amazing as you are! Have the best birthday ever!
- To the greatest colleague/boss ever – Happy Birthday!
- May this year bring you even more success.
Belated Birthday Messages
Some thoughtful messages for when you completely forget about someone’s birthday.
- I know that I’m super late, but I didn’t want to miss the chance of wishing you a happy birthday and year ahead!
- Happy belated birthday! Hope you had a perfect birthday.
- A little bit late…. sorry! But still wanted to let you know how grateful I am for our friendship! Happy Birthday!
- Happy belated birthday! Consider this a rain check for a proper celebration!
For a friend or partner
Sometimes, you just want to tell someone how much you appreciate and love them. An old school birthday card is a great way of conveying such a heartfelt message.
- Happy Birthday to a very special person that means the world to me.
- Happy Birthday to a phenomenal person I’m proud to call my [friend/partner].
- Thanks for lighting up my life! Grateful for all you bring to my life.
- Love you, [name]. Hope you have an amazing day!
- In case I don’t tell you often enough, you’re my favourite person! So grateful for our [friendship/relationship].
For a family member
If you send a birthday card to your family member on each and every birthday, you might find it difficult to write a message that doesn’t sound super forced. Here are a some ideas that you can draw inspiration from.
- Love having you as a [sibling/parent/grandparent etc]. Happy Birthday! You deserve the world.
- [Sibling/parent/grandparent etc], another year has gone by, and I still haven’t met a person who is as kind, loving and caring as you. Wishing you the best birthday ever!
- Nothing feels better than coming home to you! Happy Birthday [Mum/Dad/Sis/Bro etc].
- Thanks for being there for me, even if we’re miles apart. Happy Birthday Happy Birthday [Mum/Dad/Sis/Bro etc].
- [X number] of years have gone by and I’m still in awe of you! Thanks for being YOU! Happy, happy Birthday [Mum/Dad/Sis/Bro etc].
Design your own birthday, greeting or a special Valentines day card! CREATE NOW!